Sunday, September 23, 2007

Six!

Excuse me for being a thick headed dinosaur, but can some please explain to me how am I supposed to support the Jena Six?

Here is what I know about the story:
In the town of Jena, LA some black students are being prosecuted as adults for beating up on a white kid after being racially provoked.

Now let me repeat the question, how am I supposed to support them?

Is it by requesting that these charges be dropped immediately?
Is it by calling them innocent?
Is it by ignoring the fact that when six men gang up on one dude they are nothing but THUGS who are breaking the law?
Is it by crying out about racism?

Being provoked is one of the weakest excuses I've heard in a long time. Once you go ahead and attack someone physically, it doesn't matter if you're white, black or Martian. You break the law, you pay the price.

I just wonder what would have been the reaction if six white guys beat up black dude for calling them "crackers"? I wonder why no civil rights activists marched for the sake of the Duke lacrosse players -who are innocent by the way? I wonder why there are double standards in race relations while demanding equality?

I have a lot of questions with no answers, but what can I say? I am just a thick headed dinosaur...

Update:

Seems to me that I am not the only dinosaur on this planet, as Thomas Sowell seems to be saying something very similar to my ramblings...

I feel good about myself now, kinda

2 Comments:

At Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 12:47:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what is ironic? If I wrote this, I would be called racist. I agree with you though. But I think it's political correctness as a whole (not only that which deals with race, though race is a major part of it)that is skewing society's views on individuality and equality. People can't really be judged by their actions or by who they are because it's too important to pointedly ignore or celebrate who they are defined as by racial stereotypes. Did that make any sense?

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 2:34:00 PM EDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The so-called defenders of the Jena 6 are not calling for their release. They are demanding equal justice. When a black kid was beaten, his attacker was given probation. It is interesting that the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all the families of the Jena 6 have been published on the Internet...with the comments that if they are freed, concerned patriots should visit their homes. Pitiful. Equal justice for all Americans; is that too much to ask?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home