Saturday, January 20, 2007

Me love you long time!

One of my favorite movies is Full Metal Jacket, as it has some of the most memorable scenes and quotes. One of those quotes is by the Da Nang hooker to the Marines:
"Hey, you got girlfriend Vietnam? Me so horny. Me love you long time"
What reminded me of the quote and the movie is an article on MSNBC.com about the return of "Enjoyment Marriages" to Iraq. As a Sunni, I don't know much about "Enjoyment Marriages" but my first impression of it was not so welcoming. I don't want to call it prostitution as that might "offend" some people, and I don't think it should be called a marriage either.

What I understand about marriage, that it is a bond between a man and a woman, where they decide to create a family, and share responsibility towards each other, and towards bringing up children in order to keep society and humanity alive. I am sure this definition isn't the most accurate, but I think you might get the picture.

Enjoyment marriages seem more like a religious booty call. It can last for minutes -check the article again- to months, and sounds more like a prepaid phone card than a relationship. It is not even casual sex, as someone has to pay for the services. So, if there is a payment, is it prostitution?

Oh well, I guess 50,000 Iraqi Dinars are cheaper than a Zales ring and the court fee...

-CZ

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 23, 2007 at 7:36:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this after you first posted it, and admittedly, did not pay close attention. So, I came back to read it and something curious has come up... Nowhere can I find the link to the article.

MSNBC says: Our web servers cannot find the page or file you asked for. The link you followed may be broken or expired.

I read another blog which had a link to MSNBC's article, and that link was also not functioning, and if you search the term "enjoyment marriages" you will see references to the article, but no actual article. Hmmm.

I have a feeling that the link is not broken, or expired, but removed because of what probably is a very controversial topic. I googled the topic and found the info I wanted, but now I'm curious why MSNBC retracted their story.

 
At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 5:05:00 AM EST , Blogger Aladin said...

Thanks for pointing that out, I found someone copied the article before it was taken off and here is the link:
http://www.islamicaweb.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1451780

Which brings up the question, why did MSNBC.com take down the article? It did stir up a lot of talk over the blogs and maybe they got some heat for it. Makes me question their journalistic credibility...

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 8:43:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just read that...that sucks. and it is sad when a woman has to agree to things coz she feels that she has no other choice

-sirfartalott

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home